Saturday 1 July 2017

65) Margam Abbey Ruins and Margam Castle


The building on the left is the ruined Chapter House of the medieval Margam Abbey, a Cistercian Abbey originally founded in 1147.  It’s very possible that there was a much older monastic community on the same site, or close by, since early Celtic stone crosses have been found on the site, and they are on display in the nearby Margam Stones Museum. In the background, the large building is Margam Castle, a 19th century gothic confection that I’ve sketched before. The view looking up the steps towards the castle is actually one of my favourite views in the whole of Port Talbot. I managed to get the figure in when she stopped for a minute, to have a breather, I think. It was a beautiful bright day sketching this, but there was a cold wind blowing, and the bench I sat on to make this sketch was in the shade. I know that we can get 4 seasons in one day in Britain, but come on, shivering in July?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Sketches

  Level Crossing Station Road This is one of my favourite Port Talbot subjects for a sketch - the level crossing in Station Road. The crossi...